Gaza, home to two million people, continues to face suffocating conditions imposed by Israel. For sixteen years Palestinians in Gaza have lived under a brutal blockade, isolated from the rest of historic Palestine and the world.
AFSCs new anthology, Light in Gaza: Writings Born of Fire, imagines the future of Gaza beyond the cruelties of occupation and Apartheid. It imagines what the future of Gaza could be, while reaffirming the critical role of Gaza in Palestinian identity, history, and liberation.
Light in Gaza is a wide-ranging anthology that includes new works by eleven Palestinian writers and poets. It constitutes a collective effort to organize and center Palestinian voices in the ongoing struggle for liberation and justice. It explores the central question: can a better future for Gaza be imagined as a part of a broader vision for ending the Nakba through return, restoration of rights, and achieving justice?
We hope that Light in Gaza: Writings Born of Fire will serve as a powerful intervention at an important political moment.
Light in Gaza is available for purchase from Haymarket Books.
Press release announcement of our new publication is here.
Table of Contents
Light in Gaza: Writings Born of Fire
- Foreword, Jehad Abusalim, Jennifer Bing, and Michael Merryman-Lotze
- Introduction, Jehad Abusalim
- Gaza Asks: When Shall This Pass?, Refaat Alareer
- On Why We Still Hold Onto Our Phones and Keep Recording, Asmaa Abu Mezied
- Breaking the Vicious Cycle of Permanent Temporality, Shahd Abusalama
- Don’t Step on My Feet Again, Basman Aldirawi
- Lost Identity: The Tale of Peasantry and Nature, Asmaa Abu Mezied
- Why Are You Still Here?, Basman Aldirawi
- Ethical Implications of Experimental Design on Affected Communities in the Gaza Strip Salem Al Qudwa
- People’s Light in Gaza’s Darkness, Suhail Taha
- Artificial Intelligence as a Tool for Restoring Palestinian Rights and Improving the Quality of Life, Nour Naim
- Exporting Oranges and Short Stories: Cultural Struggle in the Gaza Strip, Mosab Abu Toha
- In the Haze of Fifty-One Days, Dorgham Abusalim
- Travel Restrictions as a Manifestation of Nakba: Gaza, the Path Backward Is the Path Forward, Yousef M. Aljamal
- Let Me Dream, Israa Mohammed Jamal
- Gaza 2050: Three Scenarios, Basman Aldirawi
- A Rose Shoulders Up, Mosab Abu Toha
Stories and Reviews
UPCOMING: Join AFSC and anthology contributor Yousef Aljamal on our Fall 2023 speaking tour to the west coast!
Last year, AFSC organized an east coast speaking tour in the U.S. featuring Asmaa Abu Mezied and Yousef Aljamal, contributors to Light in Gaza: Writings Born of Fire.
AFSC will also continue to plan online events with authors in 2023 and 2024.
View the recorded events from the book tour here.